Calix Fiber Access Solutions Help You Win Mobile Backhaul Contracts
The success of internet-oriented smartphones like the Apple iPhone has quickly made it clear to wireless service providers that the bandwidth required by cellular base stations has increased beyond what can practically be met by TDM-based technologies such as T1 and HDSL. In fact, according to a major wireless carrier, the average monthly traffic driven by the iPhone is 33 times what is driven by the Blackberry – and growing. Accordingly, throughout North America, wireless operators are migrating base stations away from copper transport to fiber-based transport.
This transition presents wireline service providers with the opportunity to both capture and lock-in the lucrative backhaul transport revenue from these sites by deploying Calix fiber access solutions that are significantly less costly and more operationally efficient than competitive options. With the industry's widest range of specialized mobile backhaul ONTs and multiple OLT technologies and form factors to choose from, the Calix Unified Access Infrastructure is well suited to help service providers compete in this growing business.
Mobile Backhaul Profile
- Calix is North America's leading provider of GPON mobile backhaul ONTs (Dell'Oro Group 8/09).
- Over 500 cellular base stations throughout North America are served by Calix GPON mobile backhaul systems.
- The Calix family of GPON-based mobile backhaul solutions includes integrated T1 and GE support, wall- and rack-mounted units, and 24VDC powering options.
- Calix 700GX ONTs feature auto-detect optics that support both GPON and Active Ethernet.
- Calix GPON mobile backhaul solutions are a fraction of the cost of traditional SONET and carrier Ethernet solutions.
- Calix fiber access solutions can provide substantial operational savings over copper-based solutions.
Calix mobile backhaul solutions are based on an innovative set of technologies that deliver high reliability, low cost, and scalability. The Unified Access Infrastructure supports cost-effective initial deployments for TDM traffic through integrated T1 ports in Calix ONTs. However, Calix ONTs also support multiple gigabit Ethernet ports, allowing seamless upgrades and bandwidth enhancement without equipment replacement. Thus, a service provider deploying Calix can transition at its own pace from T1 backhaul today to support 50 Mbps, 100 Mbps, or even 1 Gbps services to support future 4G wireless protocols like LTE.
Service Extension and Migration
For remote base stations, Calix eliminates the need for expensive remote cabinet deployments by offering an industry leading Extended Reach GPON implementation that allows ONTs to be deployed up to 40 km from the OLT – two times the distance of most competitive GPON offerings. For long-term bandwidth growth, Calix ONTs support both GPON and Active Ethernet. This flexibility allows any high bandwidth base station to support symmetrical 1 Gbps point-to-point Ethernet services without expensive ONT replacement.
The industry's broadest and most versatile portfolio of innovative, standards-based optical network terminals (ONTs). Calix continues its tradition of fiber access innovation with the introduction of a family of ONTs optimized for mobile backhaul, including:
- 766GX – Wall-mounted ONT with eight DS1 ports, four GE ports, GPON/AE auto-detection, and 24VDC or -48VDC powering options.
- 766GX-R – Rack-mounted with eight DS1 ports, four GE ports, GPON/AE auto-detection, and 24VDC or -48VDC powering options.
Learn more about Calix Mobile Backhaul ONTs
Learn more about the Calix 766GX
North America's most widely deployed multiservice access platform also features GPON OLT support. With unmatched density and 1:N protection options, the C7 is a powerful and cost effective platform for securing competitive mobile backhaul contracts.
Learn more about the Calix C7
Facilitating GPON deployment in smaller COs and space-constrained legacy cabinets, the Calix E7 represents a new and flexible approach to fiber access service delivery. At just 1RU with the flexibility to support a mix of up to eight GPON ports, 24 gigabit Ethernet ports, and eight 10GE ports for transport, the E7 pushes powerful capabilities into the outside plant for mobile backhaul and Metro Ethernet service offerings. This functionality can be extended with the E5-400 fixed-form-factor access node.
Learn more about the Calix E7
Learn more about the Calix E5-400
Calix Management System (CMS)
A highly scalable service management system that provides one view across the Calix Unified Access Infrastructure. Service provisioning and assurance is facilitated by time saving service activation tools and comprehensive performance monitoring capabilities. CMS provides simplified provisioning of mobile backhaul Ethernet services, with a graphical user interface that supports cross-platform VLAN provisioning, eliminating hop-by-hop provisioning requirements.
Learn more about CMS
Calix: A History of Fiber Access Innovation
- Auto-detecting ONTs – GPON or Active Ethernet transport
- Remote ONT Activation – vital to GPON deployment scalability
- Extended Reach GPON – extending GPON from 20 km to 40 km
- Integrated smartjack with in-band DS1 loopback support
- Full Metro Ethernet Forum services support with Q-in-Q (VLAN Stacking) and full 4094 VLAN support
- Outside plant hardened
Learn more about Calix fiber access solutions